Adium

Opened 13 years ago

Closed 13 years ago

Last modified 13 years ago

#6839 closed defect (fixed)

AIM Info encoding error

Reported by: psylum Owned by: evands
Milestone: Adium X 1.0.3 Component: Service/AIM
Version: Severity: normal
Keywords: encoding AIM info error Cc:
Patch Status:

Description

When attempting to retrieve one of my AIM contact's info, I receive the following message in the info display: "(There was an error receiving this message. The buddy you are speaking with is probably using a different encoding than expected. If you know what encoding he is using, you can specify it in the advanced account options for your AIM/ICQ account.)"

This is unclear both because as far as I can tell there is no advanced account options that allow configuration of encoding, and because upon checking the data that was received, I'd like to believe libpurple should understand it. Using Wireshark 0.99.5 from macports, looking at the response from the aim server for this contact's request I see the following:

TLV: Info Msg Encoding, Value: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
TLV: Info Message, Value: <html><body>.. (more readable ascii of the info)

I see the most of the responses I receive for other contacts are text/aolrtf or something similar, but is text/plain invalid?

Attachments (1)

adium_debug-20070502.log (779 bytes) - added by psylum 13 years ago.
Debug log just before and after requesting contact's info

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

comment:1 Changed 13 years ago by Jordan

Milestone: Needs feedback from users

Interesting.. perhaps it thinks it's an XML encoding of some sort and is refusing it based on that...

Can you attach the debug log here? You can enable it from the Adium menu -> debug window.

Changed 13 years ago by psylum

Attachment: adium_debug-20070502.log added

Debug log just before and after requesting contact's info

comment:2 Changed 13 years ago by psylum

Just a note, I was using an svn build before, but it happened in beta 1.0.3b5 which is what i used to generate the debug log just now.

comment:3 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

What client is the remote contact using?

comment:4 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

Possible fix; please try Adium_1.0.3b5-aim-info-encoding.dmg and let us know if it fixes the problem.

comment:5 Changed 13 years ago by psylum

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the quick fix. Also, I don't know if this is relevant anymore, but I installed Pidgin 2.0.0beta7 last night and the same error showed up there, was this a libpurpble error?

comment:6 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

Yup. I've fixed it for Pidgin 2.0.0 final, too. :) I'm still interested to know what client that contact is using.

comment:7 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

Milestone: Needs feedback from usersAdium X 1.0.3
Owner: changed from nobody to Evan Schoenberg
Status: newassigned

comment:8 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

(In [19603]) Libgaim.framework [445], which fixes #6839 (AIM Info Encoding Error), improves sending of our AIM buddy icon to the server, and fixes a memory leak, among other changes

comment:9 Changed 13 years ago by Evan Schoenberg

(In [19604]) Merged [19603]: Libgaim.framework [445], which fixes #6839 (AIM Info Encoding Error), improves sending of our AIM buddy icon to the server, and fixes a memory leak, among other changes

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.