AIM contacts mysteriously disappeared
|Reported by:||jsquyres||Owned by:||nobody|
|Keywords:||contact disappeared missing buddies gone||Cc:|
Greetings Adiumx developers, and congrats on 1.0 -- it rocks!
I'm having a problem that mysteriously started first thing yesterday morning (Friday, 2 Feb 2007) -- before upgrading to v1.0. I've been using adium for AIM and sametime for [literally] years and this just started yesterday morning. When I opened my MacBook Pro from sleeping overnight, Adium signed in as normal to both Sametime and AIM, but none of my AIM contacts show up (and none of them can see me). iChat with my same AIM account works just fine, so I don't think my AIM account is hosed.
After upgrading to v1.0, the issue is exactly the same, unfortunately.
Longer version / detailed
Adium reports that I am logged into AIM, but my contact list does not show up (even if I show my offline contacts) and none of my contacts can see me online. iChat with the same AIM account works fine. Indeed, if I fire up iChat and login while Adium is logged in to AIM, Adium is knocked off AIM (and vice versa). So they are definitely using the same AIM account.
Steps to reproduce:
- Start Adium
- Login to AIM
- No contacts show up, no AIM contacts can see me online
This happens every time I start adium, so it's extremely reproducible.
- Adium: yesterday it was the most recent before 1.0 (I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact version number). Today it is 1.0. The issue is exactly the same in both. I am not using SVN versions.
- OS X: 10.4.8
Doesn't look like there's anything odd here -- this output is from opening Console, launching Adium, and logging into AIM:
2007-02-03 07:37:53.208 GrowlHelperApp 2007-02-03 07:37:53 -0500 Adium registered 2007-02-03 07:37:53.218 GrowlHelperApp 2007-02-03 07:37:53 -0500 Growl: Application re-registered (Adium registered) - Priority 0 2007-02-03 07:37:58.501 GrowlHelperApp 2007-02-03 07:37:58 -0500 Adium: Jeff Squyres (connected) - Priority 0
Other things I've tried:
- I tried renaming my preferences (both $HOME/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0 and $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.adiumX.adiumX.plist) and launching Adium afresh. I go through the startup to give Adium my AIM username and password, and the same thing happened (no contacts show, no one can see me online). Since this did nothing, I put my preferences back.
- I rebooted my MBP and logged in again and started Adium; same problem.
- I logged out of OS X and logged in as a new user and launched Adium, put in my AIM username and password, and the same problem occurred.
- Mac-arena on #adium asked me to show my offline contacts when this problem occurs. I did, but nothing shows up -- it's like Adium does not see my contact list at all.
From these points, I (who know nothing about how IM works) kinda assume that the problem is with how Adium is loading my AIM account. I'm not entirely sure why this just started happening out of the blue -- I didn't change anything w.r.t. my AIM account between when I closed it Thursday night and opened it Friday morning.
Other random facts:
My AIM privacy settings are set that only those on my buddy list can see me. iChat continues to work just fine (can see my entire contact list, other contacts can see/message me, etc.). Mac-arena on #adium mentioned that this problem sounds familiar, but you've never been able to track it down.
Please let me know what I can do to help -- I'm a POSIX programmer (although I've done no Mac/GUI programming), so if there's anything I can do anything to help, don't hesitate to ask.
That's all I can think of...
Change History (41)
comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by jsquyres
- Patch Status set to None
- Version changed from 1.0 to 1.0.2
comment:8 Changed 9 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone set to Known problems which need steps to reproduce
comment:12 follow-up: ↓ 13 Changed 9 years ago by jas8522
- Keywords contact disappeared added
- Milestone changed from Known problems which need steps to reproduce to Needs feedback from users
comment:21 Changed 9 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone changed from Needs feedback from users to Needs Feedback - Received
comment:22 Changed 9 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone changed from Needs Feedback - Received to Needs feedback from users
- pending set to 1
comment:24 Changed 9 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone changed from Needs feedback from users to Needs dev review
- Version changed from 1.0.2 to 1.1.2
comment:26 follow-up: ↓ 28 Changed 8 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone changed from Needs dev review to Needs feedback from users
comment:29 Changed 8 years ago by jas8522
- Milestone changed from Needs feedback from users to Waiting on libpurple